Monday, April 7, 2008

My Cool Rider

While I was attending Eastern Arizona College years ago, my roommates and I sat around one night discussing marriage and how we would like to be proposed to when we found the “one.” Some of my roommates wanted a big announcement in a public place. Another roommate wanted her knight in shining armor riding up on a white horse on the beach. We all had very different ideas.

I grew up in the days of Grease. I loved the Grease movies. My sister and I would hold a tape recorder up to the TV to record the songs so we could sing and dance to them later. I think I still have every word of those movies memorized. So, my ideal proposal was probably influenced by these movies- especially Grease 2. I wanted to be proposed to just like the mysterious Michael Carrington swept Stephanie Zinone off her feet.

I mentioned the conversation that I had with my roommates to Eric, years later after we started dating. But I didn’t think he would remember when it came time to propose.

A couple months after we started dating Eric showed up at my door- dressed exactly how I pictured he would years ago. He was mysterious just like Michael Carrington. He cut out all the small talk and simply said “Wanna go for a ride?” I looked past Eric to see a Harley parked in my driveway. I hopped on the bike behind Eric, held on tight and we were off.


He drove out to the White Tank Mountains and pulled into a secluded place where I saw a table for two all set up with flowers and food. We got off the bike and walked over to the table. Eric bent down on one knee, pulled out my ring and recited a beautiful poem he wrote. The whole thing was just perfect and better than I had imagined.

On the way home, the Harley ran out of gas. We had to call my parents to help us and Eric was so embarrassed. I didn’t care. I smiled so big the whole ride home and got a mouthful of bugs. It was a ride to remember.

If you know the "Cool Rider" song from Grease, Eric was definitely it.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

To a coooool rider, a coooool rider.
If he's cool enough,
He can burn me through and through.
Whhoa ohhhh
If it takes forever,
Then I'll wait forever.
No ordinary boy,
No ordinary boy is gonna do.
I want a rider that's cool.

Love that song! Love that movie! Love Michelle Pfifer! I was in Grease the play like, a couple of months ago....I was french....it was the dream of a lifetime for me! Too bad u weren't here. I"ll show you pictures sometime....me and my hot pink wig....cute! lol j/k.
hehe. boys on motorcycles are so hot. but don't worry i got my eye on a guy with a brand new, 2008 Tomato Red Silverado! Oh yeah! now that's MY kind of cool rider! :) the boy driving isn't all that bad lookin' himself....double the hottness, the double the happiness (for me, anyways) :)

Jessica said...

I Love Grease! That is such a fun way to propose. What a romantic!

Linsey Farley Jameson said...

I was just telling my girlfriends this story the other day!!! I want a c, o, o, l.... r, i, d, e, r. Remember we would pretend we were climbing a ladder and straddle the top of it? LOL!!!!

Kari said...

Apparently I'm not the only one who knows the lyrics!!! *LOVE* the Grease movies and absolutely love the proposal story!! What a guy to remember the little details ;) I'm desperately needing to update my blog but with stake stuff, triathlon training, and my advanced digi class I've been so swamped!! Hoping to get to it soon - and the whole "story of us" fits with the LO I'm working on right now!! Perfect photo for the post!

Kenyon and Karyn said...

As soon as I saw the picture from Grease 2 I got a HUGE grin on my face. I LOVED that movie growing up, we watched it so much, and when we had slumber parties we would watch it some more. What a great engagment story. That is awesome!

megan said...

Too funny...my dream guy was a mix between maxwell caulfield (grease 2 star :), gregory peck, and georg from the sound of music (christopher plumber?). Anyway...I told my roommate that I would name my first child "Georg Peck"

TCallihan said...

So apparently my little sister Ginny was one of your roommates! Showing my age I will say I never saw Grease 2 but the orginal now that was what I sang to. One of my records I still have just no player to play it. What fun memories you and your honey have.

Janell said...

I TOTALLY REMEMBER THAT CONVERSATION! How cool is your husband to "make all your dreams come true!" See? Fairy tales ARE real!!!!
-jd