Friday, March 28, 2008

Photography 101

I went to a great Enrichment class yesterday. Megan is an awesome photographer and she taught us some really cool Photography tricks. I know I could read my manual and learn a lot about my camera, but it was so much more helpful to have someone show me the different settings on my camera, why to use them and the difference it makes. I dont have a fancy camera, but she taught me how to get better pictures with the camera I have. It was fun to experiment. My friend Kari forced me to buy photoshop when it was on sale at Costco in January. Okay, she didnt force me, but she did show me some things I could do with it and I knew I had to have it. So, taking the photography class yesterday and also discussing editing photos, inspired me to finally play around with photoshop. I am far from being an expert and some of you professionals might laugh, but here are some of the photos I took at the class and some before and after photoshop experiments...










11 comments:

Kelly said...

Photoshop is great - albeit a little complicated. My husband is a Photoshop genius. I know a few features on it, and it always makes for a better picture. What a great activity - I'll bet those girls were loving being models!

Kari said...

Those are so awesome!!! I desperately wish I could have gone to enrichment with you :) Isn't it fun to play around with your pictures? There is a 12 week photography course online that just ended (I didn't actively participate due to time) that you can print out the weekly pdf files ... some great info! You can check it out HERE if you want :)

Anonymous said...

you got the best models in the bunch! sierra is so darn cute, and lexi....wow. that girl has already done modeling in different states and stuff, so it's obvious that she's photogentic....and then noelle is so gorgeous, but i mean, look at her mom! hehe! but the photography alone is gorgeous! I'm taking photography next year in school. and i'm so excited. I am in compete and total awe of sister holdsworth's work. i tell her all the time how much i love it! i advertize her website all over the place! HEHE! but your photography is pretty much amazing...thought you should know! i see you being a pro in no-time!!!!! The flowers are BEAU-TIFUL!:d

Dawn said...

great pics, I can't wait to go this week and check out what my OWN camera can do. I might have to check out the photoshop as well, but that just creates another hobby!

Cameron Family said...

What a great idea! I've owned several cameras with features that seemed really neat, but I wouldn't know for sure because I never did figure them out! Those pictures are really good, what kind of camera do you have? I'm looking to get a new one, but the one I want is over $400, so it may just have to be a birthday/Christmas gift!

The Dinner Belle said...

Great job on the pix and Photoshop! I feel like I have so much more to learn about my camera. At least I have the courage to pull out the manual now!

You have a darling blog and darling family - I am going to love checking in on you. I saw your post about your husband's b-day - I think our husbands have the same birthday!

Oh, and where did I learn how to cook? . . . lots of trial and error over the years. It has just really become a hobby - since I have to do it everyday! I am obsessed with recipes though. Got any good ones you want to pass on?!! :)

PS - I'm glad you're in Prescott now! Hope you are feeling at home.

Anonymous said...

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahha.

that's all i have to say about the "babe" thing.....but I won't turn down a compliment, because that was very, very nice of you to say....so thanks.....
:D
i called melissa about friday....but she hasn't gotten back to me, so when she calls i'll let you know....or she'll let you know....but whatever happens, if your kids come to the tenney's, I'll bring a friend so it's double the care...
not that i need the help because your kids are totally great....but i mean, just reinforcments....yah know? you looked REALLY REALLY PRETTY at church yesterday....love love love love your dress! :D
p.s. tommy and liberty looked cute too! good to see that jack was more awake! :D

Anonymous said...

dumb question: what does la vida buena mean?


i guess i could google it:D

megan said...

Woo-hoo! found you! and I love love love your pictures...I'm so glad you posted them...my favorite is Sierra jumping...good job...and the flower :) I'm glad that you were brave enough to play with them in photoshop and then post...keep it up! (Let me know when you want me to show you a few more tricks in PS :)

TCallihan said...

Katie, I have the EXACT same shots from the class.LOL! Found you from Meg's blog hope that's okay. Tracie

SLCphoto1 said...

Hey, they look great! Take it from this "professional" photographer, you've got an eye. Keep at it. (The word, professional, by the way, is highly overrated.)