Monday, March 24, 2008

Jack's New School

Jack had his first day at his new school today. He was so excited. He is definitely a kid that I dont need to worry about making friends or having a good time. He is so outgoing and friendly and came home talking about all his new friends. We got there and he speaks up to introduce himself to others and shakes hands. And if you know Jack, he doesn't stop there. He is a wealth of information and offered up all kinds of interesting facts, I'm sure, they were dying to know. Jack loved everything about his new school, but especially the things that were different from his Charter school, like:
* 3 recess breaks (instead of 2 at his old school)
* morning and afternoon snack
* show and tell
* music class
* library
* no uniform- he could wear a Star Wars shirt to school.
* He gets to take home the work he does that day- every day. He said this was "the best part" about the school. His last school kept all his work throughout the year and would give you a 3 inch stack of his worksheets at the end of the year. That is a lot of school work for a parent to go through at one time.




The only bad thing was that it took 25 minutes to get to the school (one way) and I left early so there was less school traffic- after school was even longer. I would try sending him on the bus but it is a really long ride (I hate to tack on another couple hours to the time he is away from home) and it makes a transfer at another school in route. So, it looks like I will be spending a lot of time in the car.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Emmy has had to change schools a few times in the last few years, and it is such a hard thing, but it sounds like Jack is confident enough to handle it. A 25 minute commute both ways? You'd better get some good tunes in your car or books on CD or something! What we do for our kids....

Kari said...

Bummer on the commute, but it sounds like a great start to a "new" school year!! Love and miss that outgoing and extra sweet boy!

Anonymous said...

How did he like Abia Judd? I hope he is adjusting well, ,but he's like, the most outgoing kid, so I'm positive he can handle it. All he has to use to start a conversation is "I love Pirates of the Carriabean", and he'll have 50 friends easily. hehe! love him!

Dawn said...

hang in there, only 8 weeks left!