Sunday, August 3, 2008

Saying Good-bye


You may remember Jack's little friend Lizzy that he caught when Paul was visiting. We got her all set up with a bigger cage, a little cave to hide under and a light to warm her up. And then as time passed we realized that we were spending about $10 a week in crickets and I had to go totally out of my way, 2 times a week, to a pet store not very close to my house to get them. We got very tired of this. So, last weekend we told Jack that he would have to let Lizzy go. Eric told him that Lizzy needed more room to run around, needed to find a warm place before winter and she would be much happier. (But I know the real reason- it was the money and the inconvenient trips to the pet store.) Having to get rid of Lizzy tore Jack apart. He cried and cried. And even though he finally came to the conclusion that it was better for Lizzy, it was so hard for him to say good-bye to her. It broke my heart to see Jack take deep breaths and whimper as he let her go. He kept saying between snivels "Go ahead, little Lizzy. You can go now. I love you." as he coaxed her to go.




Does that make me a bad mom? I sure felt like one.

4 comments:

Kenyon and Karyn said...

katie! You seriously are one of the best moms i know!!

Linsey Farley Jameson said...

Not a bad mom at all!!! How cute, coaxing her to go on ahead. Sweet!

Kari said...

That picture he drew is precious!!! I love that boy ... so tenderhearted :)

Cameron Family said...

He is a sweetie! My heart was breaking for him while I was reading the post. I totally would have done the same thing... only earlier!