Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Rescue at the Pool


After many trips to the pool, I thought I could relax a little and read a book last time we went swimming. Afterall, the kids are much better swimmers now... okay, only Jack can swim, but the girls are less afraid of the water and I thought they could touch the bottom everywhere in the shallow end.....

So, we went to the pool after school last week, the kids jumped in and I set up under an umbrella with my sunflower seeds and a book. While I was reading, Liberty made her way to the opposite side of the pool to play on the steps. A toy she was playing with floated out of her reach and she jumped in after it, where she could not touch the bottom or make it back to the side. I look over and Liberty is struggling completely under the water. I started screaming her name to get the attention of the employee standing closer to her, as I ran to the other side of the pool. Fully dressed, I stepped onto the pool steps, still 10 feet away from her, and slipped with my slick flip flops, and fell into the pool, slicing my toes open on something. It was quite the sight- daughter needs rescuing and suddenly mom does too. (I'm sure I would make a great life guard) So, I tried to get up, catch my balance and get over to her, but the employee beat me to her- boy, was I glad he was there. He pulls her out, coughing and crying, and men working-out behind the glass wall overlooking the pool come out to comment on the situation. With my clothes soaking wet, my foot all bloody from my fall, Liberty crying on my lap and an audience around me, I start filling out the "incident papers" from the clubhouse. Jack looks up and says "Mom, why are you wet?" He missed the whole thing.

So... my girls need swim lessons. And maybe I need a lesson or two in "saving your drowning daughter from the pool" or just "how not to be so clumsy."

10 comments:

Blog Stalker said...

OMGosh! I am so glad that this did not end differently. Kids around water is one of my biggest fears. I have had a dream of one of my kids drowning and I could not get to them. they just keep sinkin and sinking.

What a great mom though, to not be thinking about what you are wearing or what may have been in your pockets. Too bad about your foot.

Emily Johnson said...

I cant believe that! That is crazy! At least someone else was there.

Kelly said...

If it weren't for Liberty almost drowning, that might have been a comical sight. I'm glad she and you are okay.

Dawn said...

Oh, I've been there, I had to jump into the pool at the Y to get Ryan. The dumb kid lifegaurd was flirting with the other dumb girl lifegaurd and I was watching my kid from across the room, and I had time to run over and jump in to get him, before he even saw. He immediately knew I was one pissed momma. So glad it turned out ok and everyone's alive! How's your toes?

Emilee said...

I totally missed it when it happened to my daughter last summer at the pool. I was the Jack wondering what was going on and then why everyone was walking towards me. Those darn incident reports, I know it's going on my record forever: Bad Mother doesn't even see her own kid drowning.

Amanda said...

I have had a story so similar. except I was holding Jackson at the gym and we were surrounded by tons of paramedics and fire fighters and me saying, he is fine he is fine. So embarassing. Sorry that happened to you

Rolyndia said...

So glad to hear your little one is okay. That is scary!! Hope your toe is feeling better also.

LOVE the fun art porject you did after school. So cute!!

Jessica said...

Your poor toe! Funny though- I am so glad liberty is ok. What a scarry thing. Claire is scarry around water. She wants to be a big girl way to fast.

Kellee said...

man oh man... you sound so collected about it all! i'm glad liberty is okay!! I love you Katie! i know you would sacrifice a lot more than your toe to save your little ones... a valiant effort on your part! that's what i say! And i hope the toe will make a swift recovery :) by the way... I missed you guys on my trip out! but i know i will see you sooner than i realize when ole December roles around.. MUCH LOVE SIS!

Cameron Family said...

Wow, that was scary! I'm so glad she is okay. Pools are just horrifying when you're a mom. I've had to jump in fully clothed too after a sinking child. It's amazing how fast they go down!