Tuesday, July 8, 2008

4th of July at Grandma's Cabin


When Jack was given the assignment at the end of the school year to draw something he would do over the summer, I knew exactly what it would be a picture of. It was the same thing the kids had talked about for months. Go to the cabin.


My in-laws have a cabin in Happy Jack and the kids love to be there. I kept promising them we would go, "as soon as school gets out." So when we picked up Jack on his last day of school, the kids all screamed: "Now we are going to the cabin!!" They were very disappointed to learn that I didnt mean the second he was out of school. So, when Eric had Friday off for the 4th, we thought it would be the perfect weekend to go. And it was.

We drove up on Thursday and Grandma & Grandpa met us there that night. Day 1, was quite an adventure. Grandpa wanted to show us some indian ruins. He has some off road golf carts, called Rhinos, that the kids love so they were excited to go for a ride.

We strapped the kids in...



and we were off...

We made it to our destination only to learn that we had to hike up to the top of a little mountain to see the ruins. The girls were not happy about this. It was hot and the girls did not want to hike anywhere. So the girls had to stop lots of times and they whined the whole way.


But we did it and it was beautiful at the top (even though the kids asked when we were going to see some good stuff)


Other than the little bits of indian pottery the kids were finding, the girls were totally not interested. So we left the boys and hiked back down to the rhinos.

When the boys finally made it back down, Jack gave me some flowers and we drove off to find a place to picnic.


The drive back to the cabin began pretty calm...

However, all of the sudden it started to rain, and then pour. The pouring rain turned in to hail- almost as big as marbles. It was pounding on our heads and backs and it hurt. We jumped out of the rhinos and ran for cover. Grandma had a table cloth that we put over us,



But it was hailing so hard that it poked holes in the tablecloth. At this point, the kids were all crying and Jack suggested we say a prayer. Eric looked around for better shelter and found a metal stock tank we could hide behind, but we had to run through a muddy stream-almost up to our knees to get there. We made it to the tank, but we were all completely soaked and shivering cold. The path back to the cabin was so muddy, but we decided to give it a go. Once we made it back, cold and soaked, Jack said "I knew we would make it back. I knew I had enough faith!" It was definitely a memorable experience.

The rain cooled off the weekend and since the kids were to afraid to explore in the rhinos again, we spent most of the weekend hanging out at the cabin relaxing. It was great.




9 comments:

Rolyndia said...

Looks like so much fun and glad you were able to go up to the Cabin. I bet that is all Jack will talk about for the rest of the summer if he is anything like my boys. Love the pictures.

Kari said...

Sounds like quite the adventure!!! Glad to know you are all safe and that Jack got to spend his time at the cabin :) I love that you post his artwork and writing ... so much fun to see and look back on! Your family looks even more gorgeous than when I last saw you (which was too long ago)!!

Misty said...

Tell me those aren't real fish heads on Jack's fingers. I'm sure they're real but ... eeewwww!

Cameron Family said...

Good times! You have such a cute family!

Chy said...

My first thought was, " what on Earth does Liberty have on that stick?!?!" Then I looked closer.
It looked like lots of fun and hope to see you on Sunday.

Tori said...

Sounds like you had a great time! I love seeing pics of you and your cute family! Like Karie said, it's been too long since the last time I saw you!

Emily Johnson said...

that does sound like fun! We sure miss you guys! I love your hair!

Brandi said...

Wow! This summer has been crazy and I haven't seen you for a little while so I thought I would check out your blog and see what you have been up to. So CONGRATULATIONS!!! How exciting! Maybe once school starts again things will slow down around here. Year right!

Jessica said...

Jack Such a boy! That is so yucky sticking his fingers in fish heads. Kyle would be right there with him. Happy belated birthday By the way. I hope you had a fabulous day.