Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day

The kids came in early this morning and woke us up- and like Mother's Day tradition, Eric hopped out of bed and shut the door so I could sleep in. And, like every other year, I pretended to sleep through all the clatter in the kitchen and waited for Eric and the kids to come "wake me up." Once the kitchen gets quiet, I know they're ready to come in for the surprise. They open the door and the kids all scream "Happy Mother's Day!" Tommy handed me a dozen roses, Jack gave me a card, Liberty gave me a bag of sunflower seeds and Eric gave me breakfast in bed. While the kids serenaded me with songs, I ate my breakfast, which was surprisingly all warm this year and was full of all the yummy things I love and never fix for myself. Tommy even included a whole bowl of sunflower seeds (which is a snack I normally love, just not for breakfast.) Then they all joined me on the bed. It's always tricky eating my mother's day breakfast in bed with the kids. All the kids dig into my food, hug me, hop around the bed and I try to balance my tray so nothing spills and it is always a memorable morning. Once breakfast was finished, Jack treated me to a back massage and all the kids were so sweet. It's those moments that make me so thankful to be a mom.

The kids showered me with lots of hand-made gifts which are always my favorite. This was one of my favorites this year. I don't know where he came up with some of those answers, but at least he got the important stuff right. I do love him and love to spend time with my family.





9 comments:

Cameron Family said...

Sounds like a wonderful start to your special day! Don't you love those mom questionaires- the answers always make me laugh. I must say, 10 feet tall and only 10 pounds, impressive Katie! Happy Mother's Day!

Kari said...

Sounds to me like we woke up in the same house ... clattering kitchen and all! Although I didn't get sunflower seeds ;) My girls filled out some questionaires, too, and I just love how they answer them! Glad to know you had the wonderful day you deserved!

Brandi said...

What a great day! I just love those fill in the blank cards. It's always interesting to see what they write!

Kenyon and Karyn said...

I Love that Liberty gave you sunflower seeds!...for breakfast :) She's such a cutie!

It was so nice having you guys stop by yesterday. I loved it!

Linsey Farley Jameson said...

I love it!!! What sweet kids!!!
Jack knows his Mom, that is great he knows those important little facts.... that you love him and love being with your family. Cute.

Kellee said...

hey sis!! i love your blog!! i am just figuring out how to navigate around this thing though!! I am happy to hear you are liking Prescott and that you had an awesome mothers day! I LOVE YOU! i miss you guys! the kids are so great. :)

Dawn said...

So does that mean that because I'm only 5 feet tall, I'm only 5 pounds? That's awesome! What a cute little keepsake! I think I'll have to start that tradition, I've never had breakfast in bed!

Michelle Tolboe said...

Awwwwww! how cute!!!

Janell said...

I totally forgot you LUH-LUH-LOVE sunflower seeds! This is SUCH a cute story. Congrats on being "Super Mom!" You're great! :)
-jd