Monday, October 6, 2008

Great work!

A couple weeks ago, Liberty was busy working on a picture at my desk. She spent so much time on it and finally came out with the picture behind her back and told me she made a surprise for me. She proudly held out the picture and the first thing I noticed was that it was decorated with the roll of postage stamps that was sitting at my desk. I reacted to the stamps, raised my voice and explained to her why that was wrong. I didnt even acknowledge her hard work and art. Then, her bottom lip stuck out and she started to cry. She said: "You hurt my feelings." and "You made my heart sad!" Then ran to her room.

I felt so bad. In a year from now, will those postage stamps really matter? Or will her feelings be the things she remembers? Really, in perspective, the stamps are a small thing when compared to my daughter. I should have praised her picture first and explained later about the stamps.

So, last night when Liberty came in from playing outside and said "Mom, I made you something outside. Come see!" I didnt react to the permanent marker all over the stucco on the front of the house. I hugged her and praised her work. (But made sure to explain later about not doing that again.)

5 comments:

Emilee said...

Those stamps will matter a year from now when we won't be able to afford them or anything else! (jk)

You're the kindest, most patient & creative mom I know. You're a great example to the rest of us.

Kelly said...

Just think, TWENTY years from now you will still be able to see her love note on that stucco and those stamps will long be forgotten. I think we've all had moments like those. Well, I haven't yet but I know my time is coming with this latest child...

Birding is Fun! said...

Oh, so it is "love them, then beat them." I had that backwords. Good job mommy!

Linsey Farley Jameson said...

LOL!!! That is one of the HARDEST things with parenting. You are doing it great, Katie. Your such a sweet patient mom!

Kari said...

That's about how I felt when Cougar dumped a bottle of pink fingernail polish all over a brand new shirt last week!!! I learn so much from your examples of patience :)