Friday, February 22, 2008

Getting Rid of the Past

Since our new home is forcing me to downsize, I have to ask myself, "why have I stored so much junk year after year?" Maybe it is because I kid myself by saying "it is a ‘keepsake' or "I may need it someday" (even though I havent touched it or looked at it in years.) I have clothes that are more than 15 years old in my closet and have other things that I have held on to for more than 25 years. Not because they are valuable or important, but because I have tied some silly sentiment to it and can not part with it or maybe I thought my daughter may enjoy looking at it some day. Why???

Tommy and Liberty are having a blast looking through it, however, and want to keep things that I want to get rid of. For example…




How long ago was fluorescent in style?? I used to actually wear these lovely accessories, right along with my leg warmers! So cute! And were badges ever in style? I sure hope so, because I have like 50 of them- at least. Here are a few of my favorite badges I discarded today:

"I love Kirk!" (as in Kirk Cameron)
"Kirk is Rad!" (Again, Kirk Cameron, I have a few with his name on it)
"Congratulations! You just met the impossible dream." (I hope I never actually wore this)
"You’ll have to marry me first!"(Wasn't I a little young to be wearing badges like these)
"Kiss Me!"
And of course, the ones that Liberty is modeling for you.
Was I totally delusional? I sure I hope I have better taste now. And this is not even the half of it. I have boxes and boxes of dolls I thought were nice collectibles when I was young, but now, because of the Arizona heat, years in storage and their poor, cheap quality are totally ugly and destroyed. Eric is probably very grateful not to have to lug these around for one more move. The list goes on and on, but the point is... I think I have finally come to a season in my life where I am ready to let go. I feel like I need a ceremony or something. So, come on over to my house tomorrow. We're celebrating with a garage sale. I am sure we will make big bucks on my items.

8 comments:

Emily Johnson said...

You started your blog!! I LOVE IT! Awesome! I cant believe how good you did at your garage sale!

Janell said...

Ha-ha! Isn't Spring Cleaning GREAT!?!?! When you talked about clothing that you've had for 15+years, I immediately thought of your FAMOUS Piano Pants! No, I'm not kidding ... they are famous! Every time I talk about Katie Farley, someone in my family says, "Isn't that the pretty girl that wore piano pants?" Ha-ha! I hope you make millions on your memories! :)
-jd

Kelly said...

Hi Katie! I didn't know you had started a blog. I'm so glad. It has been the best way for me to keep up to date on family and friends that I don't talk to very often. I can't believe you have been lugging this stuff around all these years! Gotta love fluorescent! Sounds like that would have been a great garage sale to hit!

Kari said...

I wish I would have known about your garage sale ... I've been looking for a replacement for my fluorescent belt ;) Looks like we were shopping at some of the same places - I just parted with most of mine a few moves ago!! Your post put the biggest smile on my face :)

Michelle Tolboe said...

HI!!!
Thanks for dropping me a note on my blog!! Your kids are soooo cute! It's been forever since we've seen you. Seems like you guys are doing good.
How cute are those accessories from the good 'ol days!!?

michelle

Marci said...

Hi Katie--I had plenty of florescent stuff and loved Kirk Cameron too! I sure hope some of that stuff doesn't come back in style! Thanks for checking in on my blog, I'm going to add yours to my links if that is okay. Your kids are DARLING! I wish we all had a reason to get together! We need a big family reunion!

Nic said...

Katie,
Thanks for checking out my blog, now I know where I can find you via cyberspace! I loved looking at your blog, your family is adorable. That little Liberty is just too cute and looks like a ton of fun, and of course Tommy is beautiful. Your husband seems like a pretty great guy too, I love what you wrote about him. I too wish I had the patience with my children that my husband has. It's fun to see you know the Quinn's. We know thier family from Ann Arbor and our days in Michigan. Mama and Papa Quinn are pretty outstanding people! I think I met Amy once a long time ago. What a small world in the blogs.
Looking forward to getting to know you better and creating some fun memories!
:) Nicole

Nic said...

I too was totally obsessed with Kirk Cameron. I think he was my first crush... too funny!